Living in Thunder Bay
Where to stay. How to get around. Where to find groceries and childcare. This page has information to help you plan your stay in Thunder Bay.
During the COVID-19 Pandemic everyone entering a Thunder Bay business is required to wear a face mask.
Staying with Family
Students who have family in Thunder Bay may wish to stay with family. Although it is great to stay with family, many students find it difficult to study and complete assignments. Some things to think about:
- Is there a place for me to quietly study at night?
- Will I be pressured to skip classes or avoid homework to socialize with family?
- Is there an Internet connection to do research for my projects?
- Is there a desk or table in the house that I can work on without interruption?
If you are looking to stay in a hotel, you will want to consider conveniences for travel in the city, restaurants, shopping for needs, and comforts in the hotel during the on-campus session. When reserving a hotel room in Thunder Bay, please remember to ask if they have discounts for students attending Oshki-Pimache-O-Win: The Wenjack Education Institute.
You can also inquire about availability at Confederation College or Lakehead University Residence or check out airbnb Thunder Bay.
Some hotels are:
- BestWestern , 655 Arthur St. (near airport): 1-807-265-3253
- Comfort Inn, 660 Arthur St. (near airport): 1-807-475-3155
- Airlane Hotel, 698 Arthur St. W. (near airport): 1-800-465-5003
- Travelodge Memorial, 450 Memorial Ave.: (807) 345-2343
- Victoria Inn, 555 Arthur St. W.: 1-800-387-3331
- Super 8 Motel, 439 Memorial Ave.: (807) 344-2612
- Econo Lodge, 686 Memorial Ave.: (807) 344-6688
- Holiday Inn Motel, 375 Kingsway (near KFC): (807) 623-2514
- Kingsway Motel, 345 Kingsway (near KFC): 1-800-571-0579
For $4.25/day or .75/hour, students can park at the Parkade located at Victoriaville at the corner of Donald and Syndicate. Payment is made on the first level upon exiting.
There is metered parking surrounding Centennial Square as well.
Parking passes are available for students at Reception. You can sign one out on the day of class and return at the end of each day. Due to limited passes, the parking passes are available on a first come first serve basis.
You can view the Thunder Bay Transit system map here.
Thunder Bay has an official transit pickup prediction service – http://www.nextlift.ca/
You can also download the Thunder Bay transit app on your cell phone.
If you would like to view a specific bus route’s information, visit the Thunder Bay Transit Schedule Page
Costs to take public transit are:
Exact Cash Fare: $3.00 / 10 Ride Pass: $25.00 /
Adult Monthly Pass: $77.50 / Monthly Discount Pass: $63.50 / Monthly Youth/Senior Discount $55.00
Students of Confederation College programs should contact Student Support to discuss an optional annual bus pass option.
During Covid19 all Thunder Bay Transit riders are required to wear a mask. Punch cards are discontinued at this time. For updated information visit: www.thunderbay.ca/coronavirus
Unfortunately, Oshki-Wenjack does not have childcare services on campus but you can talk to your Student Support Worker who can direct you to resources, including the following:
Register your child on the “The District of Thunder Bay Child Care Registry” site: http://www.tbdssab.ca/Children_s_Services.htm (follow the link). There is no guarantee of space, but you will have your name on the list and will be notified on the first space available in the chosen Day Care.
Search 211 for childcare services at https://211ontario.ca/ or check local Facebook groups.
Tip: When you find a spot, register early!
Where to Eat
Renco Family Foods is located in Centennial Square for groceries and we encourage you to use our on-campus kitchen to make your own meals and save on the costs of restaurants.
VictoriaVille Centre is located across the parking lot which includes a food court. There are also the following restaurants nearby.
- Blue Door Bistro
- JJ’s Family Restaurant
- New York Subway
- Golden Wok Chinese & Vietnamese
- McKeller Confectionery
- Knights of Columbus lunch and Friday Buffets (check website for dates)
- Mandarin Chinese Restaurant
Food banks are also available in Thunder Bay if needed. Please contact your Student Support Worker for more information.
For laundry services, Barb’s Laundromat is walking distance, located on Victoria Ave.