In response to the ongoing impacts of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and State of Emergency Orders for Ontario, Oshki-Pimache-O-Win: The Wenjack Education Institute has had to make the difficult decision to postpone some of our Spring/Summer programming as follows:
- Semester 5 of the Indigenous Wellness and Addictions Prevention Diploma program is postponed until September 2020. The IWAP Semester 5 program requires a lengthy field placement which is not possible during this time of ongoing travel restrictions, physical distancing limitations, and many closed businesses and agencies.
- Semester 2 of the Practical Nursing Diploma program is postponed until September 2020. The PN Semester 2 program requires access to laboratory and simulation facilities in Thunder Bay and also a supervised group clinical placement, all of which are not possible during this time of ongoing travel restrictions and physical distancing limitations.
- Years 1 and 2 of the Indigenous Classroom Assistant Diploma program are both postponed until next summer, July 2021. The ICADP program is highly experiential in nature with hands-on learning activities which requires a lengthy stay in Thunder Bay during the summer which is not possible during this time of ongoing travel restrictions and physical distancing limitations.
Affected students are instructed to please advise your sponsors/funders, if applicable, that there will not be a Spring/Summer session for your program, and that we plan to resume in September 2020. We will communicate updates about this through your @Oshki.ca student email address throughout the summer as we confirm our plans for the fall semester. Students are reminded to please check your email periodically.
Kim Facigno, Academic Director
- Nishnawbe Aski Nation’s COVID-19 Information Page
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Hydro One Pandemic Relief Fund
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit COVID-19 Information Page
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre COVID-19 Information Page
- Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 Information Page
- Public Health Agency COVID-19 Information Page
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Information Page
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Media Release – March 13
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Media Release – March 18