What is software licensing?
Software licensing is a contract of agreement between the software publisher and the end user, sometimes referred to as the End User License Agreement, or EULA. Though software licensing can be a paper agreement, it is most often imbedded in the software itself as part of the installation process. If the user does not agree to the software licensing terms, he or she can indicate so with a click. This aborts the installation process. In most cases, end users click in agreement whether they actually read the license or not.
All software is copyright protected. A typical software license grants an end-user permission to use one or more copies of software. Software licenses can generally be fit into commercial licenses and free and open source licenses.
Software at OSHKI
The following software are available for use on campus:
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Microsoft Word 2013
- Microsoft Excel 2013
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013
- Microsoft Outlook 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can OSHKI software be installed on home computers?
- Where can students buy software?
- I need Microsoft Office in order to do my homework. How do I obtain a copy?
No. All OSHKI licensed products are to be installed and used on OSHKI computers only.
OSHKI students can take advantage of academic pricing by purchasing software at the institution where they are registered. For example, students enrolled in the ACSW program may choose to purchase software at student educational prices at the Confederation College bookstore (student ID or number may be required).
There are several ways in which you can obtain a copy of Microsoft Office or any of its applications:
- Purchase at retail price at any retail store (e.g., Futureshop).
- Purchase at educational price at your program's academic institution.
- Download a free 60-day trial version on Microsoft's website here.
- Alternatively, you can download and install a free copy of OpenOffice here. OpenOffice is free and open source software which is compatible with Microsoft Office file formats.