A Bachelor of Education degree prepares the student for a career as a school teacher in the province of Ontario at the Primary/Junior levels (grades K-6). Employment opportunities include classroom teaching, school administration, and Kindergarten programs. Skills learned include classroom management, special education, and teaching with media.
OCAS Program Code: N/A (Register through Admissions)
Credential Awarded: Bachelor of Education Degree
Awarding Institution: OSHKI-WENJACK / Brock University
Program Length: 5 Years (15 semesters)
Start Date: September 2020*
*start dates are subject to change
1. Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum overall average of 60%
2. Candidates without grade 12 can be admitted if they are 21 years or older and have been out of school for two years or more, and are a Canadian Citizen.
1. Vulnerable Sector Criminal Reference Check.
2. Negative T.B. Skin Test result.
Applicants must meet the admission requirements for the Bachelor of Education program delivered by Oshki-Pimache-O-Win: The Wenjack Education Institute. As part of the admissions process each applicant must submit the following:
1. An Oshki-Pimache-O-Win Program Application Form.
2. Official transcript(s) from the last institution attended.
3. Proof of post-secondary sponsorship in the form of a written letter which states the name of the student, the program of study and the duration of sponsorship.
In partnership with Brock University, OSHKI-WENJACK’s unique cultural and community based program delivery model will enable students to stay within their home community for the majority of the program. This will also include having students complete their practicum days in their home community. Students will be taking courses through on-line as well as face-to-face classes in Thunder Bay two times during each semester.
The tuition fee for the 2019-2020 academic year will be announced at a later date, due to tuition changes on a yearly basis.
- ABED 4F14 - Introduction to Aboriginal Adult Education - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8P84 - Teaching Digital Learning in the Digital Age - 0.5 credits
- ABED 4F15 - Aboriginal Curriculum Theory and Design - 1.0 credits
- MATH 2P52 - Principles of Math for Junior Teachers - 0.5 credits
- ABST 1F20 - Introduction to Nishnawbe Language - 1.0 credits
- ABST 2P94 - Introduction to Grammar for Teaching Aboriginal Language - 0.5 credits
- ABST 3P95 - Materials Development for Language Teaching - 0.5 credits
Total Credits 5.0
- ABTE 8P81 - Mathematics I - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8P97 - The Exceptional Learner - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8Y96 - Programming for Inclusive Classrooms - 0.25 credits
- ABED 4F16 - Aboriginal Ways of Teaching and Learning - 1.0 credits
- ABST 2F20 - Intermediate Nishnawbe Language - 1.0 credits
- ENGL 1F97 - Literature Trauma and Recovery - 1.0 credits
- ABST 2P96 - Aboriginal Theatre - 0.5 credits
- ABST 2F40 - Indigenous Creative Arts - 1.0 credits
Total Credits 5.75
- ABTE 8P70 - Teaching in Ontario Context credits - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8Y71 - Practicum (15 Days) - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8P80 - Language and Literacy I - 0.5 credits
- ABST 2F70 - Sharing Our Stories as an Approach to History - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8P85 - Social Studies - 0.5 credits
- CHYS 1F95 - Child and Youth Studies in Aboriginal Contexts - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8P83 - Cognition and the Socioemotional Development of Learners - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8Y87 - The Arts Across the Curriculum: Drama - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8Y88 - The Arts Across the Curriculum: Dance - 0.25 credits
Total Credits 4.75
- ABTE 8Y72 - Teaching Aboriginal Learners in the Ontario Context - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8Y73 - Practicum (20 Days) - 0.25 credits
- ERSC 1F02 - The Dynamic Planet - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8Y74 - Integrating Teaching, Learning, and Assessing - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8P75 - Practicum (20 Days) - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8P92 - Language and Literacy II - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8P93 - Mathematics II - 0.5 credits
- ABED 4F17 - Aboriginal Leadership Issues - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8Y86 - The Arts Across the Curriculum: Music - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8P98 - Health and Physical Education Curriculum and Pedagogy - 0.5 credits
Total Credits 5.0
- ABTE 8Y76 - Professional Collaborative Practice - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8P77 - Practicum (20 Days) - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8P90 - Science and Technology - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8P78 - Practicum (20 Days-unsupervised) - 0.5 credits
- ABTE 8Y95 - Professionalism and Law for Educators in Ontario - 0.25 credits
- ABTE 8Y82 - Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting - 0.25 credits
- CHYS 2F05 - Development in Aboriginal Contexts - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 4F18 - Aboriginal Teacher Development - 1.0 credits
- ABTE 8Y89 - The Arts Across the Curriculum: Visual Arts - 0.25 credits
Total Credits 4.5
Note: sequence of courses subject to change.
For More Information
Community Liason & Recruitment Officer
Toll Free: 1-866-636-7454